Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mustang Beer Theory



We put the hypothesis to the test, and the results appear to support our idea: the amount of beer required to wrench on the Mustang is a constant, regardless of the actual number of mechanics present.

That being said, we had quite a productive day yesterday. Earlier the week, a laboring UPS man brought our 40 pound package of back ordered brake rotors and pads to our door. We were surprised to get them as early as we did. Not wanting to waste an opportunity, we made replacing the rotors and bleeding the brakes the main focus of our day.

Jacks were jacked, wheels were removed, and scary looking rotors viewed with incredulity. We actually drove around on this? No wonder we couldn't stop. New rotors were compared to old, and much "hell yes!" was exclaimed. Removing the bolts holding the calipers on proved too much for Ben's hex head, and it snapped itself in half. A quick trip to Sears later, we had a replacement which worked fantastically.

There was grease everywhere, and the new rotor was soon being put on. However, it had an odd wobble to it. No matter how many times we took out the bearing and put it back in, the rotor just didn't feel like it was seating right. "Compare it to the old one" I suggested. Aha. Perhaps that other bearing and oil seal are important. Really, we know what we're doing. They're only brakes, right?

Now to get the old oil seal off. The best tool is certainly a motorcycle tire iron. It was built to withstand brute force attacks. With enough leverage, anything will shoot off and hit the ceiling. The next tire had us all getting as far away from the rotor as possible while still being within reach to leverage the seal off. After a few halfhearted attempts, Jay just cut it off to get the wheel bearing out.

The rotor seated right up with all the appropriate mounting hardware in place. The new brakepads installed easily. Repeat with the other front brake. This time it went much faster, due to either more experience or more beer, or both.

Now it was time to bleed the brakes. We started with the farthest from the master cylinder. I have never seen more disgusting brake fluid in my life. The bleeding went easily though and soon we had both rear brakes completed. We used way more dot4 than I thought we would, and we'll still need more for the fronts. Definitely going to need to bleed it again though before the race.

We tested the brake pedal, and it no longer goes completely to the floor! It feels so good now. It was getting late by this point and we were out of brake fluid, so we decided to save the fronts for another day. The car is coming along nicely though, and when we drive it again we'll be able to both go fast AND stop. Looking forward to that.







Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Meet our new team mascot

Pulling apart a dash is a lot of work. Even if you give zero regard to the eventual condition of said dash, its hard to pull out.
Ben and I spent the better part of a weekend hacking, prying, and sawing away at the monolith plastic/vinyl beast.

Hours into the work, and we almost had the dash free. I could pull the dash forward and see the finish line in sight. red paint! the fire wall! we're almost there!

After a few more hurried moments, I realized the insulation on the passenger side dash looked a little...off.
"Ben, confirm this for me. That.....stuff....right there. is that fur?"
"Oh man. Let me get the camera."

Well because yours truly is the only one with gloves, the honor of extracting our furry friend fell upon me. And it was gross. I could probably go into great detail on the texture, the rigidity, and other fun adjectives, but I'll spare you. It was gross.
How a squirrel ever managed to lodge itself so deep into the innards of the Mustag will forever be a mystery.

Pics are in the Mustag Gallery.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7416625@N04/sets/72157605128553806/

Serious Business

Oh, right. The less fun stuff. The dash, headliner and door panels came out this weekend, requiring way more tools than it should have. But one of them was a hacksaw, so we got that going for us. Pretty sure I got to work the mallet in too.

It's not as much fun as a burnout, but it's not that difficult to take things apart. And the weather took a break from the previous day's 110 to give us 80s and a nice breeze.

It was a solid work weekend with a lot done by the end. As soon as I get some juice in the camera and a vacuum in the car, I'll drop some better pics of the naked interior. The car is pretty badass with nothing but painted sheet metal to look at inside.

More to come; I'm gonna let King Weston detail the aftermarket insulation we had to deal with. Sucka.


Monday, August 4, 2008

Blowing the Carbon Out

Long overdue test drive tonight.

Against us:
*Fix-A-Flat is holding up the rear tires.
*Brake fluid is mostly water.
*Brake booster is shot.
*Seatbelts can't even restrain themselves.
*Starter seems to be on the blink again. She cranked a few times, but after that, much like your mother, she wouldn't turn over without a push.

For us:
*Headlights work.
*Car is fast as shit.

Also, the high idle seems to have smoothed itself out. Apart from the slight temperament, this could be a daily driver.

Results below.

video